Movie : Kim Ji-Young, born 1982


Kim Ji-Young, born 1982

This movie was adapted from a book of the same title. During the release of the book in South Korea, there was an uproar. This is feminism and it is not welcomed.

In this article there is detailed explanation towards the people's reaction to the book initially released in 2016 as well as when the movie was announced in 2019.

Kim Ji-Young is a story of many of us from the moment she was born until the time she became a mother herself. The loudest message I received from this movie is her motherhood story. I relate most to that period of her life as I too am going through a similar phase. 

There is such heavy feelings to discuss about it. There is such taboo that a mother must never speak ill of her family and must always be happy.

Years ago, fresh from having left my job I was having a conversation with a neighbour. She is a working mom of two. The moment I told her I had resigned, her next question was; Was I planning on having more children because it would be "easier" since I am staying at home.

Many of us make that transition from working mom to stay at home mom for various reasons. When I took that step three years ago, there was something lingering that I could not quite put a finger on. 

I realise now it is that the moment I became 'just' mom, I had involuntarily gave up my right to be human. By that, I mean I was no longer allowed to be sad, unhappy, frustrated, tired or angry because it would be ungrateful of me to feel that way. I had been given the privilege of staying home and raise my child. It had nothing to do with regretting my decision. It had everything to do with wanting to be seen and heard as a person. Not being allowed to be human and have big feelings is damaging for anyone. That is why this story resonate so much with me. 

The ending of the movie showed Ji-Young in a better state. It is through support from her spouse and family as well as acknowledging there is a problem that needs to be addressed. For Ji-Young it was a visible problem, for many of us it might not be easily identified. 

Each person need a safe space to be themselves. A place they are allowed to be whatever they need to be in that moment and not be criticised or judged for the choices they make. Everyone should also have a right to dream and wanting something that is exclusively our own. 

Have you seen this movie? What was your take away from it?

HiD. 

Comments