Docu : The Minimalist, Less is Now


I love watching property shows. Be it makeovers, buying and selling, turning the house upside down, and I also love those shows about living in small spaces. 

I like the idea of it. But I wasn't completely down with not being able to stand in my own bedroom. But, I get the idea of living with less.

When I saw this title recommended to me on Netflix I thought it was going to be one of those design shows. About how to design a minimalist space. But what I got instead was more than I bargained. It was like the answer to my ongoing questions of What do I do with all these stuff I have.

Just a few days ago I was looking around my house. The clutter is one thing, the amount of things we have and accumulated over the years is another thing. So much space and every corner and nook is filled with things. Just things being there for the sake of being. On top of that 90% of the stuff we haven't even touch in the last year. 

Aside from not using these things, I also thought about if I die nothing of these are of value. Most of it should just be given away or disposed. 

The Minimalist talks about living an intentional life and being intentional with the resources that we have. Another part of it is being conscious about how we live our life. Recognise what brings value and what does not.

One on hand it is consumerism, we buy and buy and buy. On the other hand is we do not know how to let go of things. We don't know how to say I don't need this anymore therefore, it must leave my space. We keep holding on to things that "I might need ONE day" and that was 3 years ago. 

In one episode of Living Big in A Tiny House, a family of four shared that they only have 2 sets of beddings. That was enough to make me look back at my life and the mountains of towels I have in my possession.

The Minimalist is not just for people who wants to be a minimalist. It is for everyone to watch. For us to be more conscious and intentional in life.

Have you seen this show? 

Comments