CDrama : Love Between Fairy And Devil

Episodes : 36

Released : 2022

Leads : Dylan Wang HeDi, Esther Yu ShuXin

======================================================================



(I edit this post as and when I think of something new about the drama. Yes, days later this drama still fills my head and my heart)

I took a step into the world of Cang Lan Jue without any expectation, thinking it would be just another drama to fill my days. I was already in a drama slump be it Cdrama or Kdrama. 

But this drama, has caused some major irrevocable damage to my core. 

I think, this drama is a good example of how a simple idea can be made into a great story. The underlying question in Cang Lan Jue is "How far would you go for the one you love." And this question is raised in every relationship throughout the drama.

The story started out with a lot of comedic situations. I find that there is also a pinch of sarcasm in the way they made DongFang QingCang seem like your usual Villian Male Lead who falls for the girl and tries to win her over by force, only in this case...he was under an accidental curse. And to put a  twist on the already messy situation, they made XiaoLanHua's character very aware of his words and action that she was under the impression that he is in love with her.

=========================================================================

Cang Lan Jue is a love story. A father's love for his child, a warrior's love for her people, a disciple's love for his master, and an epic love story between a man and a woman that was never written in the book of destiny. 

What I love most about this drama is DongFang QingCang. 

He moves with purpose, always calm and never impulsive. All the decision he makes are for the benefit of others, never for himself. I have grown attach to DongFang QingCang as though he is a part of me. Which is why till the end, I wept for him and the fate that befell him. I felt it was unfair that he alone had to go through so much. My heart breaks for him, with him. 


After watching EP 19, I wrote this in my notes about Xiao Lan Hua,

'She has meddled in his affairs too many times. Let’s not forget she deliberately swap souls with him that put him in SO MUCH danger, exposed him to countless harm, forcing him to protect her and she does this even after she knew about the heart curse. And to think, the "home “she is defending is one where her master has left her for thousands of years, her plant friends ditched her when she needs them, she was bullied by other fairies, forgotten in a faraway corner and her so called one true love is a man who could not stand against his family and his people for her.'

And then we got to EP 23 where I wrote,

'The scene where Xiao Lan Hua spoke to Lady Wanqing about falling in love with someone of different status, I understand her now. She has expressed that her reluctance towards DongFang QingCang is because she feels guilty towards her people but, she fully understands his mission and his side of the story'

At EP 32 I wrote,

'I am overwhelmed by grief'

At EP 36 I wrote,

'I hated it. I hated that he sacrificed himself. After all he had gone through, Why Him? Why couldn't it be ChangHeng who professed his endless love for LanHua and gets rejected 10,000 times but he doesn't care. It would have been a heroic end to the tragic life of God of War'

'Love brought him back. I wish Love had saved him from the very beginning.'


=========================================================================

What I appreciate most about this drama is the way each scene relates to the other. All things intertwined to create this beautiful story. Every small detail tie back to the main story. Every character was given their time to tell their story and their actions no matter how horrendous and wrong and deceitful are justified. At times you stop and ask...How? 

What I had hoped is, 

I had hoped for the ending to be longer. Towards the last few episodes, you'd notice the odd scene jumps and rushed through explanations. But even so, they covered the basis to give us a full story without any loose ends. 

=========================================================================

After the finale I wrote, 

'I suppose I am a little greedy. I wanted to see them as King and Queen of Moon Tribe, I wanted to see them basked in the morning sun and collect morning dew to make flower soup, I wanted DongFang QingCang to enjoy another flowercake.

I wanted to see DongFang QingCang smile.'

======================================================================

=======================================================================

Before I end, I must give praise to Dylan Wang for his immaculate portrayal as DongFang QingCang, His use of facial expressions and eye acting alone are impressive that one cannot help but be trapped by his gaze. Such talent!!

=========================================================================


Comments